Karen Sargeant carries on a general employment and labour law practice. Acting on behalf of large and small employers in the public and private sectors, Karen assists clients with employment contracts, wrongful dismissal, departing employee litigation, human rights, employment standards, workplace safety and insurance, union relations, labour arbitrations and disability management.
Karen provides day-to-day advice to employers in both non-union and unionized workplaces. Representing employers before courts and boards of arbitration, Karen also appears before administrative tribunals including the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Canada Industrial Relations Board, Ministry of Labour Employment Practices Branch and Human Rights Tribunal.
Regularly speaking at conferences and management employees on employment and labour matters, Karen also writes articles for a number of legal publications, including the Firm’s HR Space Bulletin, as well as Northern Exposure – Employment Law for US Companies with Operations in Canada, a blog published by HR Hero.com. She is also responsible for editing the Canadian content of 50 Employment Laws in 50 States.
Rankings and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015-2017 for Labour and Employment Law
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018 for Competition/Antitrust Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015-2017 for Employment Law
- Chambers Canada 2016 and 2017 for Employment and Labour: Ontario
- Recognized as an Acritas Star™ Lawyer 2016