Toronto (Canada) – Fasken is highlighted as a key player in six deals in Lexpert®’s Top 10 Deals of 2019. The annual list is based on a canvass of the most significant Canadian legal deals conducted over the last twelve months, and extensive feedback from Lexpert®-ranked lawyers, covering a number of practice areas. Unlike past years, Lexpert® has not declared a “Deal of the Year.” It will now be announced at the inaugural Canadian Law Awards on May 7 in Toronto.
Of the top ten 10 deals recognized, the Firm acted on two:
- “Air Canada acquires Aimia’s Aeroplan loyalty business for $2.4 Billion” | The M&A aspects of the transaction were co-led by Claude E. Jodoin and Neil Kravitz, while the credit card and loyalty program aspects of the transaction were led by Kathleen Butterfield. A full summary of the client work can be found here.
- “The C$1.9 billion Wataynikaneyap Transmission Project in northwestern Ontario” | Fasken advised the Province of Ontario, represented by the Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines on its loan to Wataynikaneyap Power with a team led by Ella Plotkin. A full summary of the client work can be found here.
The list also included several honourable mentions, some of which were related to a winning deal. Fasken received honourable mentions for the following:
- “Knowlton provides product innovation, research support and other services to beauty, health and personal care brands” | Fasken advised Novacap and other shareholders in the sale of its portfolio company, Knowlton Development Corporation Inc. (KDC), to a group of investors led by Cornell Capital LLC. The Fasken team was led by Michel Boislard. A full summary of the client work can be found here.
- “TD Greystone Asset Management acquires Alberta PowerLine from Canadian Utilities Limited and Quanta Services Inc. for $1.7 billion” | Quanta was advised by a team from Fasken led by Ron Ezekiel. A full summary of the client work can be found here.
- “Aphria’s take-over defence of the hostile bid by Green Growth Brands Inc., valued at approximately $2.5 billion” | Fasken acted for Aphria with a team co-led by Grant McGlaughlin and Bradley Freelan. A full summary of the client work can be found here.
- “Flutter Entertainment and The Stars Group merger” | Fasken represented ValueAct Holdings L.P. with a team led by Gordon Raman.
Fasken is a leading international law firm with more than 700 lawyers and ten offices on four continents. Clients rely on us for practical, innovative and cost-effective legal services. We solve the most complex business and litigation challenges, providing exceptional value. For additional information, please visit our website at fasken.com.