Toronto (Canada) - Fasken has been recognized as a Gold winner in the Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year category at the 2020 inaugural Canadian Law Awards, held virtually on October 6. The awards recognize the nation’s leading law firms, in-house legal teams, individuals and landmark deals over the past year.
Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year: Wataynikaneyap Transmission Project
The largest First Nations-led infrastructure project in Canadian history involving Wataynikaneyap Power (regulated by the Ontario Energy Board), and majority-owned by a partnership of 24 First Nations in Northwestern Ontario in partnership with FortisOntario Inc. and other private investors. The Wataynikaneyap transmission project is a 1,725 km system connecting 16 remote First Nations communities to the provincial electricity system in Northwestern Ontario. The project is due to be completed in 2023.
Fasken advised the Province of Ontario, represented by the Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines on its $1.34 billion loan to Wataynikaneyap Power with a team that included Ella Plotkin, Brian Kelsall, Sean Stevens, Marc Lefler and Zackary Burashko.
The Firm’s Global Infrastructure and Projects Group is at the leading edge of infrastructure and public-private partnership developments globally and has been recognized with numerous industry awards, including being named winner of the Canada Banking and Finance Deal of the Year for the Wataynikaneyap Transmission Project, and awarded the North American Silver Award as “Legal Advisor of the Year” by P3 Bulletin and the Gold Award as “Public Sector Legal Advisor of the Year” by IJ Global.
Fasken was also recognized as a Gold winner for the M&A Deal of the Year: Air Canada acquires Aeroplan and received Excellence Awards for being selected as a finalist in various categories, including:
- Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year - TD Greystone, IST3 Infrastruktur and Seven Indigenous Communities Acquire Alberta PowerLine
- Insolvency & Restructuring Deal of the Year - Nautilus Minerals Insolvency
- M&A Deal of the Year - Aphria's Takeover Defence of Green Growth's Hostile Bid
- M&A Deal of the Year - The Stars Group Combine with Flutter Entertainment
- Private Equity Deal of the Year - Sale of Canada's Shares in Ridley Terminals
- Class Action Team of the Year - Fasken - TELUS Communications Inc. v. Wellman
- Commercial Litigation Team of the Year - Fasken - Canada Post Corp v. Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- Canadian Deal of the Year - Air Canada acquires Aeroplan
- Canadian Deal of the Year - Wataynikaneyap Transmission Project
- Best Use of Technology in a Law Firm
The Firm sends its congratulations to our clients that were also recognized, including joint Gold winner Air Canada in the Construction, Infrastructure & Transportation Law Department of the Year category, and Excellence Award recipients National Bank for Banking and Financial Institutions Law Department of the Year and Dr. Christelle Gedeon of Aphria Inc. for Law Department Leader of the Year.
Fasken is a leading international law firm with more than 750 lawyers and 10 offices on four continents. Clients rely on us for practical, innovative and cost-effective legal services. We solve the most complex business and litigation challenges, providing exceptional value. For additional information, please visit the Firm’s website at fasken.com.