Peter Pliszka, a senior partner in Fasken’s Litigation Group, is regarded as one of Canada’s leading litigation lawyers. Peter’s practice is focused primarily on product liability, class action, commercial and insurance litigation matters.
Peter is Co-Leader of Fasken’s Life Sciences Group and the National Chair of the firm’s Product Liability and Insurance Practice Group, which has been named Canada’s Product Liability Firm of the Year by Benchmark Canada in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, and the LMG Life Sciences Canadian Product Liability Firm of the Year in 2015,2016 and 2019. Peter’s practice is national in scope. Peter manages litigation proceedings across Canada, and has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and other Canadian provinces, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
Peter has substantial experience as defence counsel for manufacturing companies in private action and class action product liability and consumer rights proceedings. He has served as lead national defence counsel for clients in multi-jurisdictional and national product liability class actions in Canada involving motor vehicles, medical devices, drugs, food and sports equipment.
Peter also has extensive experience advising on Canadian defence of cross-border legal proceedings involving parallel claims on both sides of the Canada-US border. In this capacity, Peter closely collaborates with clients’ outside counsel in the US, developing and executing defence plans in a strategic and cost-efficient manner.
In addition to representing clients in lawsuits and other litigious proceedings (such as Coroners’ Inquests), Peter advises manufacturers, distributors, importers and retailers on the regulatory requirements of various products, risk management issues and corrective actions including product warnings and recalls.
Peter’s client base and his reputation are international in scope. He is regularly retained by clients from the US, Europe, and Asia in legal matters in Canada, and he has substantial experience in the area of private international law. In this context, Peter has been counsel in several leading cases respecting the law of jurisdiction in Canada, and in particular, Peter was counsel for the foreign defendant in the precedent-setting case of Van Breda, which established a new (and improved, from the perspective of corporate defendants) test for determining when a Canadian court is entitled to take jurisdiction over a foreign defendant sued in a Canadian court.
Peter’s reputation as a top litigation lawyer has been recognized by numerous national and international legal directories, including Chambers Canada, Who’s Who Legal, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Lexpert/American Lawyer, Benchmark Canada, Best Lawyers and Legal Media Group’s Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers and “Best of the Best” guide to the top 30 product liability lawyers in the world.
LMG Life Sciences named Peter “Canadian Product Liability Attorney of the Year” in 2016.
Chambers ranks Peter as one of Canada's leading litigation lawyers in Class Actions and Product Liability; for the past several years. Peter has been ranked as one of only four lawyers in Band 1 for product liability litigation in Canada. Chambers has reported the following comments about Peter, based on its extensive survey of clients and peers:
“Peter Pliszka enjoys a standout reputation as one of the “top people in the country” for product liability cases. His broad practice covers the full spectrum of proceedings in this area involving medical devices, automobiles, food and consumer products.”
“He is esteemed for his product liability work which covers pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and automobiles. Clients praise him for being ‘very customer-focused, very receptive and willing to work and very professional.”
"Peter Pliszka is recognized as a top-class advocate in product liability claims, with expertise spanning pharmaceuticals, medical devices, food and automobiles."
Similarly, based on surveys of in-house counsel and peers in the litigation bar, the International Bar Association’s lawyer ranking publication, Who’s Who Legal, has ranked Peter as one of the world's leading lawyers in product liability and life sciences litigation. Similarly, the Lexpert Canadian Legal Directory lists Peter as one of Canada's leading litigation lawyers in class actions and product liability law and Lexpert/American Lawyer Magazine lists Peter in its Guide to Leading 500 lawyers in Canada. Beyond that, WWL has included Peter in its list of "Thought Leaders", comprising the top 2% of all lawyers ranked across all of WWL's publications world-wide. WWL has reported the following comments about Peter in recent years: “Peter Pliszka is “absolutely first class”. In the words of one of our interviewees: “the clients love him”. "Peter Pliszka at Fasken is 'extraordinarily good', according to sources, who describe him as being 'very well regarded and an all-round great lawyer'",
Peter is the co-author of a leading book for practitioners in coroners' investigations and inquests in Ontario, as well as chapters about Canadian product liability and class actions law for international compilation text books. Beyond that, Peter has published numerous articles and is regularly asked to speak at legal conferences throughout Canada and the US.
Rankings & Awards
- Chambers Canada 2020 Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defense)
- Chambers Canada top tier (Band 1) in Litigation: Products Liability
- Lexpert American Lawyers - Guide to the leading 500 lawyers in Canada Litigation and Product Liability
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers Canadian Lexpert Legal Directory List of the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Canadian Lexpert List of Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers--Class Actions and Product Liability
- Who's Who Legal Canada Product Liability Defence
- Who's Who Legal Canada Life Sciences
- International Who’s Who Legal Product Liability Defence
- International Who’s Who Legal Life Sciences Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018-2020 Recognized for Product Liability Law, Class Action Litigation and Insurance Law
- Benchmark Litigation Named in Benchmark Litigation Canada
- Benchmark Litigation "Litigation Star" in Commercial Litigation, Insurance and Product Liability in Ontario
- Euromoney Group 2010-2018 Euromoney's "The Best of the Best" - list of the top 30 product liability lawyers in the world (listed since 2010)
- LMG Life Sciences Awards Canadian Product Liability Attorney of the Year
- Euromoney Group Euromoney Institutional Investors - Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Product Liability Lawyers