Robert Harrison is ranked as one of Canada’s 50 top trial lawyers in the 2018 edition of Benchmark Canada. He has litigated cases in many areas of substantive law, including trade secrets, complex contract disputes, securities, financial institutions, shareholders' remedies, insurance coverage, directors’ and officers’ liability, environmental litigation and injunctions.
A Justice of the Superior Court of Ontario described Robert as “a highly regarded litigator, recognized as senior counsel”. Another Justice of the same Court said of Robert: “This (matter) was…of importance to both parties…It was reasonable for the applicant to have someone of Mr. Harrison’s seniority and ability lead the case.”
Perhaps best known for his success in a two year trial and subsequent appeals in Waxman v. Waxman, the reasons of the trial judge in this case made clear that the cross-examinations conducted by Robert were fundamental to the clients' success
Past editions of Benchmark Canada included the following statements made by peers: “Robert Harrison…is a very thoughtful lawyer, who has done (many trials). You don’t want him on the other side of you”. “Bob is the real deal, a real litigator who has argued a lot of big cases. He’s not a name that everyone likes to fly up the flagpole right away – because he wins, and some people can’t deal with that. But if you prod people and ask them to come clean, believe me they will tell you he’s fantastic.” "Bob is a real trial lawyer, the kind you just don't find every day. He could teach would-be litigators how it's really done."
Other publications that recognize Robert’s expertise include Chambers Global, Best Lawyers in Canada, and martindale.com.
In September 2017, Robert led Fasken’s team in bringing a summary judgment motion which succeeded in obtaining the dismissal - without a trial - of a claim against The Co-operators Group Limited and a number of directors.
In 2016, Robert led Fasken’s trial team representing Canadian Pacific Railway Company in litigation recognized by Benchmark Canada as one of five “Impact Cases of the Year”.
Robert regularly presents on trial advocacy for the Advocates’ Society. He served on the Ontario Civil Rules Committee for six years.
Robert is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America; Member, Diversity Law Institute; and Member, Trial Law Institute.
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial), 2018 ONCA 202
- Soﬁna Foods Inc. v. The Co-operators Group Limited et al, 2017 ONSC 5774
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 6024
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 5295
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2016 ONSC 3006
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 2536
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2016 ONSC 2491
- Alguire v. The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, 2016 ONSC 1455
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2015 ONSC 6843
- Nordion Inc. v. Life Technologies Inc., 2015 ONSC 99 (CanLII)
- GB/Plasman Investors’ Limited Partnership v. APP Holdings Limited Partnership, 2013 ONSC 5412 (CanLII)
- GB/Plasman v. APP Holdings, 2013 ONSC 6401 (CanLII)
- Angelica Choc; German Chub Choc; Caal et al. v. Hudbay Minerals Inc. et al., 2013 ONSC 998 (CanLII)