Soraya Jamal is a leading tax lawyer, a Partner in the firm’s Tax Group, and Co-Leader of the firm’s Tax Group in BC. Soraya advises on domestic and international corporate taxation matters, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, complex reorganizations, debt and equity financings, divestitures and restructurings. She has extensive expertise in cross-border transactions. Soraya acts as lead tax advisor to high-profile public and private business entities, Fortune 500 companies and large private equity funds.
Soraya has been recognized as a leading tax lawyer – International Tax Review: Women in Tax Leaders. She has also been ranked as highly regarded – International Tax Review: World Tax. Additionally, Soraya has received numerous awards, including the Canadian Tax Foundation - Bert Wolfe Nitikman Foundation Award.
A cross-section of Soraya’s representative transactions include advising:
- Trilogy International Partners on a US$875-million business combination with Alignvest Acquisition Corporation, a special purpose acquisition corporation (SPAC)
- Quadra Mining Ltd. on its merger with FNX Mining Company to form a US$3.5-billion copper company
- CGA Mining Limited on its C$1.1-billion acquisition by B2Gold Corporation
- Instacart on its acquisition of Unata Inc.
- Vista Equity Partners in connection with its sale of the Communities and Sports divisions of its portfolio company, Active Networks
- BHP Billiton on its US$40-billion offer to acquire Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
- AEA Investors in respect of acquisitions made through its portfolio company, TricorBraun
- Catalyst Paper Corporation in the restructuring of its approximately C$840-million in senior debt
- Banco Santander, S.A. in connection with its acquisition of Carfinco Financial Group Inc.'s Canadian business for approximately $298 million by way of plan of arrangement
- Novagold Resources Inc. in connection with the sale of its 50 percent interest in the Galore Creek Partnership to Newmont Mining Corporation for consideration of up to US$275-million
- JDS Silver Holdings Ltd. in respect of its acquisition by Coeur Mining, Inc. by way of a plan of arrangement for aggregate consideration of up to US$250-million
- Seaspan Corporation in connection with numerous public offerings of debt and equity on the NYSE
Soraya is an accomplished author and presenter on Canadian domestic and international income tax issues, and her articles have been featured in a variety of publications, including International Tax Review, Business Vehicles, Corporate Finance, Tax Litigation, Canadian Petroleum Tax Journal, BNA International Guide and various CCH publications.
Soraya is an elected Governor of the Canadian Tax Foundation, an elected member of the Executive of the Canadian Bar Association Tax Section (BC), and a past Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association Tax Section (Alberta). She is also actively involved with the Canadian Tax Foundation where she has been invited to serve on numerous planning committees at both the national and provincial levels. Soraya is a member of The Law Society of British Columbia, the American Bar Association, the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society and the International Fiscal Association.