“[Stephen’s] assistance given so generously, so promptly, and so efficiently helped us to establish a fund which will assist those suffering severe hardship as a result of the coronavirus” – Pro Bono Client & Retired Justice (2020)
Stephen is a lawyer who specializes in trusts, wills, estates, corporate law, and charities law.
Clients come to Stephen for clear, common-sense, and cost-effective solutions for their estate planning, business planning, and philanthropic goals.
Stephen has expertise in:
- Corporate Reorganizations and Estate Freezes
- Charities, Foundations, Not-for-Profits, Societies, and Board Governance
- Trusts: Family Trusts, Alter Ego Trusts, Joint Partner Trusts, Disability Trusts, Bare Trusts, Charitable Trusts
- Wills and Testamentary Trusts
- Enduring and Limited Powers of Attorney
- Health Care Representation Agreements and Advance Directives
- Joint Ownership Planning
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Cohabitation and Marriage Agreements
- Life Insurance Trust Declarations
- Pensions and Benefit Plans
- Income Tax
- Sales and Transfers of Businesses
Stephen’s clients include business owner-operators, entrepreneurs, professionals, retirees, young families, multigenerational families, charities, schools, directors, trustees, and executors. Stephen believes in a “team-first” approach and works closely with clients and their advisors, accountants, family offices, and referral sources.
Previously a litigator, Stephen also has significant dispute resolution experience. He has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and had clerked for three judges at the Ontario Court of Appeal. Stephen’s background gives him the insights and instincts to protect his clients’ interests by keeping them out of court or giving them the strongest possible hand for it.
Stephen returned to Vancouver after studying and working for more than a decade across the United States, Asia, and Ontario. A community servant at heart, Stephen is committed to using his trade to help build up strong families and organizations in B.C., united in a common family and corporate vision.