Venolan Naidoo is a labour, employment, data privacy, and dispute resolution lawyer in Fasken’s Johannesburg office.
Venolan has extensive experience in advising and representing a wide array of clients, including, multinational companies, local companies, statutory bodies, local government, and corporate executives.
He represents clients from a broad area of sectors and industries, which include, financial institutions, technology companies (including artificial intelligence and semantic technology), renewable energy companies, large retailers, food and beverage companies, media companies, transportation and logistics, pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers, specialist consultancy/think tanks, marketing companies, and professional firms (including for medical practitioners).
Venolan has experience in a vast area of labour and employment law, including:
- representation in unfair dismissal disputes;
- unfair labour practice disputes;
- review/motion proceedings and trials in the Labour Court;
- formulating and drafting of employment contracts (including for executives);
- formulating and drafting codes, policies, and procedures;
- advice on benefits and formulating/drafting bonus and incentive schemes;
- operational exercises (restructuring and retrenchment, including large retrenchments);
- advice on employment in respect of mergers and acquisitions;
- restraints of trade;
- matters relating to whistle-blowing/protected disclosures (including formulating such policies and procedures);
- collective/organisational rights disputes;
- discrimination disputes;
- strike management;
- matters relating to due diligence;
- investigations (including forensic) in relation to employee misconduct;
- internal hearings (whether for misconduct, performance, or medical incapacity);
- providing written legal opinions on complex labour/employment law issues.
He represents clients and regularly argues cases in various forums, including, the Labour Court, CCMA, bargaining councils, and internal/tribunal hearings. He also represents clients in the High Court, Labour Appeal Court, and Supreme Court of Appeal.
Venolan also deals with various aspects of data privacy law, including POPIA compliance, formulating of data privacy policies, etc.
In addition to experience in labour, employment, and data privacy law, he also has experience in dispute resolution, including, shareholder disputes, director liability disputes, High Court reviews (including PAJA reviews), Anton Piller enforcements, non-disclosure and/or confidential information disputes, and unlawful competition.