Ludwig advises on all aspects of employment and pension law. Within this area, he formulates and develops employment contracts, personnel policies and procedures and advises on the implementation of employment equity. His clients fall predominantly within the mining, life sciences, automotive and construction industries.
He advises employers on collective bargaining and strike management, restructuring, outsourcing and re-organisation of the workplace, employment issues in mergers and acquisitions and the interpretation and application of employment statutes and labour law generally.
Ludwig has extensive experience in dealing with contentious employment law issues such as the resolution of pension fund and labour disputes including unfair discrimination, dismissal and unfair labour practice disputes, and restraint of trade disputes. He has successfully brought and opposed various restraint of trade applications before the Labour Court and High Court of South Africa, as well as various review applications before the Labour Court and Labour Appeal Court. He also appears regularly in disputes before the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) and Bargaining Councils in unfair dismissal and unfair labour practice disputes.
Ludwig also advises on Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) related issues, and represents employers in OHS inquiries and disputes.
Honours and Awards
- Recognised by Chambers Global for his expertise in the field of Employment & Labour Law (2017 edition).
- Best Lawyers in South Africa for Employment Benefits (2015 - 2016 editions).
- Winner of the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2014 - Labour and Employment Lawyer of the Year: South Africa.
- Recognised by Legal 500 EMEA for his expertise in the field of Labour and Employment, Ludwig is highlighted as "outstanding", "practical", "easy to understand" and "very good at interpreting the law". He is commended for his "excellent response times" and "commercial and comprehensive" advice in Labour and Employment Benefits (2013 - 2017 editions).
- Member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces
- Vice-president of the South African Society for Labour Law (SASLAW) National Committee
- Sat as an acting judge in the Labour Court