Toronto (Canada) – Leading Canadian law firm Fasken continues its stellar performance as an M&A and capital markets advisor. The Firm claimed top rankings for 2021 on all major league tables – Mergermarket, Bloomberg, Refinitiv and Financial Post – sustaining its leading position as Canada’s most active M&A law firm for the second consecutive year.
- Mergermarket ranked the Firm No. 1 for Canadian M&A by deal count.
- Bloomberg ranked Fasken No. 1 in three categories by deal count: Canada mid-market (up to US$250 million), Canada mid-market (up to US$500 million), Canada announced by deals.
- Refinitiv ranked Fasken No. 1 in four categories: any Canadian involvement announced (based on number of deals), any Canadian involvement completed (based on number of deals), Canadian involvement mid-market, Canadian involvement small-cap.
Among recent noteworthy M&A transactions, the Firm represented:
- Aphria - Aphria and Tilray in their combination to create the largest global cannabis company
- Hellman - Hellman & Friedman on its US$1 billion acquisition of Cordis Corporation from Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Taiga - Taiga Motors on its de-SPAC transaction with Canaccord Genuity Growth
Among recent noteworthy capital markets deals, Fasken represented:
- Copperleaf – Copperleaf Technologies Inc. on its C$161 million initial public offering
- CGI – CGI Inc. completes issuance and sale of US$1.0 billion aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes
- The Underwriters - Advised the underwriters in Coveo Solutions Inc. $215 million initial public offering and concurrent private placement
“Fasken’s outstanding rankings across all major league tables demonstrate the Firm’s ongoing commitment to successfully advancing our clients’ strategic objectives,” said Sean Stevens, Co-Leader of the Firm’s Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions group. He highlights that last year was extraordinary for Canadian mergers and acquisitions: “Records were set for both the number of deals and for deal values. It’s especially notable that this was not driven by one industry or sector but across all industries – tech, communications, energy, transportation, natural resources and many others.”
Looking ahead to 2022, Sarah Gingrich, Co-Leader of the Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, says that “early indications are that 2022 will pickup where last year left off.” She adds: “There is a strong pipeline of deals in the works, and M&A activity has been remarkably resilient and has not been significantly impacted by COVID concerns, inflation, or threats of interest rate hikes. Deal makers have proven that they can efficiently execute deals remotely. We expect a continued high volume of deals along with more of the mega deals that marked 2021.”
Both Stevens and Gingrich comment that such noteworthy rankings reflect Fasken’s commitment to exceptional client service, practical and innovative advice and the trust Fasken clients place in the Firm.
Fasken’s M&A team is among Canada’s largest, with more than 200 lawyers, and another 500 available to step in with advice on tax strategies, competition and foreign investment laws, acquisition financing, labour and employment, corporate finance, intellectual property, foreign corrupt practices and government relations.
Fasken is a leading international law firm with more than 800 lawyers and 10 offices on four continents. Clients rely on us for practical, innovative and cost-effective legal services. We solve the most complex business and litigation challenges, providing exceptional value. For additional information, please visit our website at fasken.com.