Alexandra is a commercial litigator regularly appearing before various courts and tribunals, including international and domestic commercial and sport arbitration panels, Superior Court of Ontario, the Federal Court of Canada, the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT), and the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (SDRCC).
In addition to general commercial including judicial review, Alexandra’s practice embraces dispute resolution in the areas of procurement in the context of Canada’s domestic and international trade agreements, copyright, white-collar crime, and various commercial litigation matters involving CBSA regulatory regime. She has also advised on such matters as accession to the WTO, subsidies regimes, and Brexit issues / disintegration from the EU.
Alexandra earned a Master’s of Law degree in 2003 from the University of Ottawa focusing on investment arbitration and international trade law.
Alexandra is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Canada Arbitration Committee. She also sits on the Board of Directors of the Ottawa chapter of the Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT), the Canadian Council on International Law (CCIL), the Membership Committee of the County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA), and has authored the Parliamentary section of the Canadian Yearbook of International Law since 2003.
Alexandra speaks several languages, including English, German, Belarusian, Russian, and French, and also has a working knowledge of Polish and Ukrainian.
Alexandra’s recent matters include:
- Counsel to Tenke Fungurume Mining SA in an International Chamber of Commence (ICC) arbitration matter involving a commercial dispute with respect to a construction project in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including enforcement of the award
- Counsel to Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton in a number of sport arbitration and third party independent investigation matters involving athletes’ status, benefits, selection, carding and agreements, including sport arbitration panel reviews and appeals at the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada
- Counsel to provincial and territorial ministries of education and Ontario school boards in a Federal Court proceeding involving copyright royalties
- Counsel to Honey Fashions Ltd. involving judicial reviews of Canada Boarder Services Agency (CBSA) decisions with respect to importation and remission claims
- Counsel to Rogers Communications in a commercial arbitration dispute involving traffic pumping and a separate decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
- Counsel to Thales on various federal and Ontario government procurement dispute resolution matters
- Counsel to Rogers, Bell and Quebecor with respect to the collection of ringtone royalties by SOCAN
- Counsel to Parker Johnston Industries Ltd. in procurement challenges under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) and the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA)
- Counsel to Alion Science and Technology Corporation in a challenge of an over $60 billion procurement award in relation to the replacement of Canada’s naval frigates and destroyers
- Counsel to Odyssey TV regarding Internet and broadcasting piracy by Ellas TV
- Counsel to Agnico Eagle Mines with respect to a socio-economic benefit agreement and dispute resolution matters involving taxation
- Counsel to Ethnic Channels Group (ECG) in an international broadcasting rights and contract dispute between ECG and Moscow based CTC Media
- Counsel to TPG Consulting in a procurement and bid-rigging litigation matters