Brandon Farber is an associate in the Montréal office and member of the Insolvency & Restructuring group, the White Collar Defence and Investigations group and the Commercial Litigation group. Brandon regularly handles matters relating to insider trading, stock market manipulation and fraud. He also has experience in high-profile securities litigation, including acting for both buyers and targets in the context of statutory plan of arrangements and hostile takeover bids.
Brandon has appeared before the Québec Court of Appeal, the Superior Court of Québec, the Court of Québec and various administrative tribunals, including the Financial Markets Administrative Tribunal (Québec securities commission) and the hearing panel of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC).
Brandon has been involved in several complex disputes and in many high-profile matters: including more recently acting for:
- Richmont Mines Inc. in its acquisition by Alamos Gold Inc. pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 414 of the QBCA;
- Lumenpulse Inc. in its privatisation pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Canam Group Inc. in its privatisation pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 414 of the QBCA;
- Orbite Technologies Inc. in its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Canadian Pacific Railway in the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Canada Co.’s CCAA proceeding in connection with the derailment in the town Lac-Mégantic;
- Ernst & Young Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed Liquidator in the CBCA liquidation proceedings of Penson Financial Services Canada Inc., a registered clearing broker, which at one time held approximately $10 billion of client assets
- Certain creditors in the Target Canada Co. CCAA proceedings;
- Certain creditors in the Bloom Lake CCAA proceedings;
- Goldcorp Inc. in its unsolicited take-over bid for Osisko Mining Corporation;
- Fibrek Inc. indefence of AbitibiBowater’s unsolicited take-over bid;
A published author, Brandon is also a sports aficionado with a passion for hockey and football.