Brandon Farber is a partner in the Montréal office and member of the Insolvency & Restructuring group, the White Collar Defence and Investigations group and the Commercial Litigation group. Brandon regularly handles matters relating to insider trading, stock market manipulation and fraud. He also has experience in high-profile securities litigation, including acting for both buyers and targets in the context of statutory plan of arrangements and hostile takeover bids.
Brandon has appeared before the Québec Court of Appeal, the Superior Court of Québec, the Court of Québec and various administrative tribunals, including the Financial Markets Administrative Tribunal (Québec securities commission) and the hearing panel of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC).
Brandon has been involved in several complex disputes and in many high-profile matters: including more recently acting for:
- Deloitte Restructuring Inc. as court-appointed Monitor in the CCAA proceedings of BlackRock Metals Inc. et al;
- North American Lithium Inc. in its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Raymond Chabot Inc. as court-appointed receiver of La Graunaudière;
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed Monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Sural Laminated Produced Canada Inc. and Sural Québec Inc.
- Rebuts Solides Canadiens Inc. et al. in their restructuring under the CCAA;
- Transcontinental Inc. in its acquisition of the assets of Enviroplast Inc. in the context of receivership proceedings;
- Canadian Pacific Railway in the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Canada Co.’s CCAA proceeding in connection with the derailment in the town Lac-Mégantic;
- Groupe Dessau Inc. et al. in their court supervised liquidation under the QBCA;
- Ernst & Young Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed Liquidator in the CBCA liquidation proceedings of Penson Financial Services Canada Inc.;
- Creditors in various CCAA proceedings, including most recently in the Rising Phoenix International Inc., Groupe Dynamite Inc., Bloom Lake and Target Canada Co. CCAA proceedings;
- The Special Committee of Cominar REIT in its privatization pursuant a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Exfo Inc. in its privatization pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Transat A.T. Inc. in its attempted acquisition by Air Canada pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Dorel Industries Inc. in the context of its attempted privatization pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 414 of the QBCA;
- Sonder Canada Inc. in the context of its inversion pursuant to plan of arrangement under s. 414 of the QBCA;
- Lumenpulse Inc. in its privatisation pursuant to a plan of arrangement under s. 192 of the CBCA;
- Several underwriters in the context of securities class action instituted against Xebec Absorption Inc.;
- Goldcorp Inc. in its unsolicited take-over bid for Osisko Mining Corporation;
- Fibrek Inc. indefence of AbitibiBowater’s unsolicited take-over bid;
A published author, Brandon is also a sports aficionado with a passion for hockey and football.