Brian Kelsall’s practice is focused on project finance and development, banking and corporate finance and public private partnerships. Brian has considerable experience in infrastructures development and finance, spanning Canada, the U.S. and emerging markets.
Regularly advising lenders, developers and contractors, Brian has acted for clients across the telecom, infrastructure, energy, oil and gas, and mining sectors. He has advised the winning consortium on numerous P3 projects, including the US 36 Express Lanes/Bus Rapid Transit Project, the Pennsylvania Bridges Project, the State Street Redevelopment Project (Indiana) and Merced Campus (UC) Project (CA). He also advised the winning consortium on the Waterloo Light Rail Project, and the Eglinton Crosstown LRT Project, the procuring authorities on the Gordie Howe Bridge, linking Canada and the U.S., and advised the Federal Government on its Communications Security Establishment Canada Long Term Accommodation Project. Brian also advised participants in connection with the 2500 MW clean energy RFP issued by the Ontario Ministry of Energy
Regularly assisting with international project finance transactions, Brian acted for institutions in the GSM financing for Mobifon S.A. in Romania, at the time the largest private sector financing in Romania. He has also advised on multiple mobile GSM projects across Eastern and Central Europe.
Brian’s expertise in project finance and banking law has been recognized by leading legal publications including, The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Best Lawyers, Who’s Who Legal, Euromoney’s “Best of the Best”, Chambers Canada and the International Financial Law Review.
Rankings and Awards
- Advised on IJGlobal Americas 2016 North America Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year for UC Merced
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers 2017 for Project Finance
- Who’s Who Legal: Government Contracts 2016
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2010-2017 for Project Finance, 2014-2016 for Banking & Financial Institutions
and 2015-2016 for Infrastructure Law
- Advised on three IJGlobal Americas 2015 Deal of the Year transactions
- The 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada for Banking and Project Financing
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2011-2018 as a leading practitioner in Banking and Finance Law and Project Finance Law
- Legal 500 Canada 2014-2017 for Banking and Finance and "Leading Lawyer" for Infrastructure and Projects
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Law Firm Rankings guide 2014-2017 for Project Finance
- Chambers Global 2011-2014 for Banking and Finance, 2011-2017 for Project Finance and Projects: PPP and Infrastructure
- Chambers Canada 2016 and 2017 for Project Finance and Projects: PPP & Infrastructure
- The 2014 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada for Project Finance and Banking & Financial Institutions
- Who's Who Legal 100 2014-2015 for Project Finance and Public Procurement
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2014-2016 for Project Finance and 2014-2015 for Public Procurement
- UK Legal Experts 2011 for Projects, Energy and Natural Resources (including PFI)
- Legal Experts 2010, 2011 as authority in Projects, Energy and Natural Resources