Join us on Friday, May 31, 2013 as we provide an in-depth look at the members' rights provisions in the two new not-for-profit corporate statutes: the now in effect Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and the Ontario Not-for-profit Corporations Act, expected to come into effect in 2014. The half-day session will highlight the differences between the two new Acts and the predecessor regimes. Drawing on our experiences to date and relevant experiences under for-profit legislation, we will provide practical advice for compliance both from the perspective of members and management.
Topics will include:
- Status of legislation
- Soliciting and non-soliciting corporations / public benefit corporations and non-public benefit corporations
- Class voting rights
Inspection and access rights including to membership lists
- Election and removal of directors and public accountants
- Meeting notice requirements (timing and delivery methods for notice and meeting materials, including financial statements)
- Nomination rights and limitations on those rights
- Methods for voting
- Confidentiality re voting (telephonic voting etc.)
- What must be included
- Process for depositing / withdrawing
- Limitations on exercise
- Process for counting
- Most common grounds for dispute
- What they can cover
- Technical requirements
- Opportunities for management response
Remedies Available to Members
- Oppression rights
- Derivative actions
- Orders for compliance
- Dissent and appraisal rights
- Exemptions for religious corporations
- Procedural fairness in connection with discipline and removal
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am Registration and Breakfast
- 8:30 am - 11:30 am Presentation and Q&A
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this seminar is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
This program is free of charge.
The event has passed - Registration is closed.
For more information
+1 416 868 3511