Toronto (Canada) – Fasken has been recognized in the 21st edition of the GCR 100 for the ninth consecutive year. The guide, published by Global Competition Review, has provided a listing of the world’s top competition practices for two decades and features firms in more than 50 jurisdictions for 2021. Since 2013, Fasken has been one of the few firms to be recommended in the annual rankings for Canada and South Africa, highlighting the successes of the Firm’s Competition, Marketing & Foreign Investment (CMFI) group.
This year, the Firm’s Canadian Competition, Marketing & Foreign Investment group, led by Huy Do and Antonio Di Domenico, moves up the rankings to the “Highly Recommended” category. The guide notes that this is due in large part to the group “bulking up its portfolio of complex deals and unilateral conduct cases.” Further, the guide features the group’s involvement in:
- Canada’s aviation consolidation trend in which it advised Air Transat on its sale to Air Canada – a complex deal subject to clearance in multiple jurisdictions and public interest review under the Canada Transportation Act;
- its advise to chemicals company, BASF Canada in their Bureau’s investigation scrutinizing its alleged abuse of dominance and refusal to deal in the agricultural industry; and
- guiding online travel company, FlightHub in the Bureau’s investigation into alleged deceptive marketing practices.
The guide also ranks Fasken in the “Recommended” category in the South African jurisdiction for the sixth consecutive year, highlighting the leadership of Neil MacKenzie since 2018. The guide features the group’s involvement with several matters, including representing:
- Nomura International in the Forex cartel probe;
- building materials company, LafargeHolcim in ongoing litigation between the commission and cement company NPC-Cimpor; and
- the South African Property Owners Association (SAPOA) in the commission’s market enquiry into the grocery retail sector.
The guide also highlighted the South African team’s work in merger control, with their steering of the Globeleq Africa’s deal with Brookfield in the renewable energy sector and assisting the South African Petroleum Industry Association (SAPIA) in obtaining exemptions from competition law for a range of activities related to South Africa’s national liquid fuels supply chain.
The Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment group assists and guides clients through competition merger clearance and foreign investment reviews for Canadian and international M&A transactions. Clients include leaders in the agricultural, food, consumer electronics, automotive, mining, energy, telecommunications, transportation, pharmaceutical, financial services, manufacturing and retail sectors. To learn more about the Firm’s Competition, Marketing & Foreign Investment law services, contact any of the Firm’s lawyers, or visit Fasken’s Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment Blog here.
About GCR 100
The GCR 100, published by Global Competition Review, is a comprehensive listing of the world’s top competition practices. It provides a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the law firms and economic consultancies doing the most important antitrust work around the world. The 21st edition of the publication features firms in more than 50 jurisdictions.
Fasken is a leading international law firm with more than 750 lawyers and ten offices on four continents. Clients rely on us for practical, innovative and cost-effective legal services. We solve the most complex business and litigation challenges, providing exceptional value. For additional information, please visit the Firm’s website at fasken.com.