With over 20 years’ experience advising clients in the People’s Republic of China, Fasken has first-hand insight into the evolution of the world’s second-largest economy. Decision makers in state-owned enterprises and across the business community face new opportunities as China’s focus for growth expands from traditional energy and resource investments to a broad array of industries and services. Fasken’s China Group has and continues to help its clients prosper in this changing environment, with strategic advice on Chinese outbound investment.
A sizeable proportion of our ground-breaking work for Chinese companies focuses on energy and mining. Fasken’s China Group is honoured to have members that have been trusted by our clients to assist them with some of China’s most important outbound investment transactions. These transactions include:
- At the time, China’s largest outbound investment – PetroKazakhstan’s $4.1 billion acquisition by China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC).
- At the time, China’s largest outbound investment – Addax Petroleum’s $8.3 billion acquisition by Sinopec.
- China’s first investment in Alberta’s oilsands – CNOOC – MEG Energy.
- China’s first hostile take-over bid on the TSX, and China’s first national security review under the Investment Canada Act—Jilin Jien for Canadian Royalties—which concluded successfully.
- China’s first management proxy battle for control of a TSX company (Ka An Development for Eastern Platinum), which concluded successfully.
- China’s largest mine construction in Canada, and China’s largest investment in the Province of Quebec (Jilin Jien’s $1.5 billion mine in northern Quebec).
The firm’s China group is a trusted advisor to its clients and provides advice and guidance on transactions, business arrangements, global expansions and government approvals, particularly in the areas of mining, oil & gas, banking and finance, and communications sectors. We also work with our clients in the life sciences, aviation, and renewable and nuclear energy industries and offer private client services to successful individuals, families and family enterprises coming into Canada.
In assisting Chinese private and state-owned enterprises launch and operate businesses outside of China, we look beyond initial investment objectives to build long-term strategies for ongoing success. For those enterprises looking to expand into China, our China Group leverages its knowledge and network of business contacts and advisors to assist those entities with their business expansions and strategic endeavors.
Fasken’s China Group is comprised not only of lawyers who possess a deep understanding of Chinese business culture but also of lawyers who originated from and practiced in China. Accordingly, it almost goes without saying that our lawyers are fluent in, among other languages, Mandarin and Cantonese.