Our Fund Formation team has extensive experience with diverse structures and deep knowledge of a wide range of investment products. Our sophisticated team of experts is ideally positioned to advise on all aspects of private fund management, including tax structuring, distribution, regulatory advice, market intelligence, governance and risk management.
Our broad client base and impressive deal flow ensure we have in-depth insight into market standards and developments across the industry and strongly establish our market leadership in fund formation. By virtue of our experience acting as counsel to many of the leading Canadian and international managers in connection with the formation of their funds, we are uniquely positioned to anticipate, understand, and address the issues and challenges faced by our clients and we are regularly called upon to provide customized solutions tailored to their business requirements.
Our practice is best known for the following:
- structuring innovative and complex investment fund structures. Our experience extends to all entities forming part of fund structures, including carried interest limited partnerships, feeder funds, employee vehicles, parallel funds, separately managed accounts and all other ancillary entities;
- a variety of long-standing clients including managers of open-end and closed-end funds of all alternative asset classes (e.g. private equity, venture capital, real estate, infrastructure, agriculture, private debt and many others). As industry leaders, our clients often challenge the status quo and develop new fund products and features;
- the size of our practice group and depth and quality of our practitioners dedicated to fund formation matters. We are known for having a particularly strong fund formation team composed of over 8 dedicated members of ranging experience ensuring effective and cost-efficient allocation of work and our team’s capacity to service our clients’ needs. Our team also comprises leading experts in specialized fields who support the fund formation practice including, tax and regulatory practices;
- regularly advising institutional investors in connection with their investments in funds; and
- advising sponsors on their ongoing operational issues, secondary transactions and restructuring mandates.