The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires employers to establish a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) at a workplace with 20 or more workers, or at a workplace that has a designated substance. The Act also requires that at least 2 members of the JHSC be certified in health and safety. This Ministry of Labour approved JHSC Certification Part 1 training course is the first step in becoming a certified member. The course provides participants with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to become certified members by covering topics including:
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, focuses on:
- Occupational health and safety roles and responsibilities
- The internal and external responsibility systems
- Functions and powers of the JHSC
- Work refusals and work stoppages
- Hazard recognition, assessment, control and evaluation (RACE); and
- How to make effective recommendations to the employer
Fasken Martineau is a Ministry of Labour approved provider of Basic Certification Training.
Members of the JHSC requiring certification, managers, supervisors, and employees wanting to learn about OHS legal duties, accident prevention and the role of the JHSC.
- January 30 - February 1, 2018
- March 13 - 15, 2018
- May 22 - 24, 2018
- September 11 - 13, 2018
- October 23-25, 2018
This three day course costs $495 + HST per registrant.
If you are interested in having the training take place at your location, please contact us at email@example.com.