Christopher Rae is a civil and commercial litigator. He has experience litigating matters involving complex contract disputes, fraud, governance issues, professional negligence, insurance and insurance brokering, product liability and catastrophic personal injury, employment and jurisdictional issues.
Christopher regularly represents clients across a range of industries, including mining, automotive, transportation (including railway, trucking, and aviation), entertainment, government, construction, insurance, professional services, and manufacturers, distributors and retailers of consumer and food products.
Christopher also has significant expertise handling matters requiring urgent and extraordinary relief, including injunctions and Anton Piller orders.
He has been counsel on a number of significant and high-profile litigation matters, including Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company (a case recognized by Benchmark Canada as one of five "Impact Cases of the Year"), Jetport Inc. v. Jones Brown Inc., Choc et al. v. HudBay Minerals Inc., and Jacobs et al. v. Ontario Medical Association.
He has appeared as lead counsel before all levels of court in Ontario.
Christopher is actively engaged in pro bono work. He is Coordinator of the firm’s litigation pro bono programs in Toronto. He regularly volunteers as duty counsel at Pro Bono Ontario’s Law Help clinic at the Toronto Small Claims Court. He is a roster lawyer with the Pro Bono Ontario Child Advocacy Project, offering representation for children and youth in education-related matters.
Christopher has been actively involved in the firm’s annual United Way fundraising campaign, and is currently a Co-Chair of the Campaign (formerly Co-Chair of the Associate Campaign)
- Jacobs v. Ontario Medical Association, 2016 ONSC 4977
- Canadian National Railway Company v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company, 2015 ONSC 6843
- HMQ in Right of Ontario v. Canadian Pacific Railway Company 2015 ONSC 7437
- Carioca's Import & Export Inc. v. Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, 2015 ONCA 592
- Lorenzo Girones v. Marsh Canada Limited, 2014 ONSC 7072
- Carioca’s Import & Export Inc. v. Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, 2014 ONSC 4818
- Greenbanktree Power Corporation v. Coinmatic Canada Inc., 2013 ONSC 4977
- Jetport v. Jones Brown Inc., 2013 ONSC 2740
- Jetport v. Global Aerospace, 2013 ONSC 1898
- McKay v. Canadian National Railway 2013 CarswellOnt 4031
- Choc v. Hudbay Minerals Inc. et al., 2013 ONSC 998
- Ford v. Toronto (Compliance Audit Committee), 2012 ONCJ 92 (CanLII)