Speakers: Gilda Villaran and Thomas Copeland
More and more businesses in Québec and Canada call upon foreign workers to meet their labour needs.
Whether these workers come to Canada after being transferred within a multinational group or after an international recruiting process, their employers must know the basic rules of hiring foreign workers.
Gilda Villaran, immigration specialist, will explore the following topics:
- General rule: the need for a Labour Market Opinion;
- Regulatory exemptions under NAFTA and other treaties;
- Extending work permits and implied status;
- Changing employers;
- Maximum term of permits;
- Recent developments in "recaptured time" for workers who split their time between Canada and a foreign country.
Thomas Copeland, tax specialist, will explore:
- Fundamental tax rules that apply to hiring foreign workers, regardless of whether or not it was after an international transfer;
- Concept of "residence" for taxation purposes, which differs from the concept of "residence" for immigration purposes;
- When (or after what event) must foreign workers file income tax returns with our tax authorities.