Employers have a legal obligation to ensure managers and supervisors are "competent". This one-day due diligence course provides managers and supervisors with practical knowledge to identify, assess and control hazards, and effectively implement their organization's OHS management system. Bill C-45 and the legal duty under the Criminal Code will also be addressed. A number of current cases are reviewed allowing attendees to learn from actual legal decisions.
This course, designed by Norm Keith, B.A., J.D., LL.M., CRSP, a leading employment and labour lawyer and author of Canadian Health & Safety Law, will assist managers and supervisors to achieve due diligence. The course focuses on:
- OHS legislation
- Legal duties and responsibilities of workplace parties
- Workers’ OHS rights to know, participate and refuse
- Authority and powers of the OHS Regulator
- Legal liability, penalties and fines
- Integrating OHS systems with managerial / supervisory functions
- The Internal Responsibility System explained
- Hazard identification, assessment and control methods
- Review of leading court and tribunal decisions
- Implications of Bill C-45
- Due diligence checklist developed by Norm Keith
This course meets the requirements of Ontario's new Regulation O. Reg 297/13 "Basic OHS Awareness Training for Supervisors", which comes into effect July 1, 2014.
- 1 Day
- November 6, 2014
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 4:30 pm Course
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
Note: The hours from this non-accredited conference may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada for Ongoing Members. Please note that this conference is not accredited for Professionalism Hours and cannot be counted for New Members or for Professionalism Hours for Ongoing Members.
Managers, supervisors, OHS professionals, in-house legal counsel, human resource and operation managers.
This is an in-person course.
The cost of this seminar is $295.00 plus HST, per registrant.
This course has passed. Registration is closed.
For more information:
+1 416 943 8976