2017 will likely see more changes to Canadian lobbying laws – federal, provincial and municipal – than in most prior years. New rules, together with increased enforcement, create greater compliance risk for your company or organization. Are you compliance ready?
Did you know half the country’s lobbying laws affect employees who sell goods and services to government agencies? Or that lobbyists have gotten into trouble for giving gifts to City of Ottawa officials? Many are unaware of the extent to which lobbying laws affect them. If employees or your corporation or organization communicate with government officials, then lobbyist registration is relevant to you. It is also relevant to corporate CEOs, on whom responsibility for compliance primarily falls.
This exclusive seminar, delivered by the country's leading legal expert on the regulation of lobbying, Guy Giorno, provides an in-depth update of new developments in lobbying law across all Canadian jurisdictions. It is the place to learn how recent developments will affect your business or organization.
Includes special presentation by Patrick F.D. McCann, counsel to Fasken Martineau, white collar crime defence expert and Lobbying Act trial lawyer: “Dealing with RCMP investigations and Lobbying Act prosecutions”
Topics to be covered
- Latest developments under the federal Lobbying Act and Ontario’s Lobbyists Registration Act
- Enforcement update
- Dealing with RCMP investigations and Lobbying Act prosecutions (Patrick F.D. McCann)
- New lobbying law developments in City of Ottawa and other municipalities
- Procurement implications: When selling becomes lobbying
- Compliance strategies for entertainment, hospitality and gifts to public officials
- Cross-country check-up: provincial/territorial lobbying law update
- Handling investigations and enforcement action
- Compliance strategies and best practices
- Updates across all jurisdictions
Who should attend
- Business leaders
- Government relations executives and managers
- In-house counsel
- Staff and directors of non-profit associations
- Public affairs consultants
What People are saying
Click to read what people say about Guy Giorno and previous Fasken Martineau Lobbying Law Seminars.
- 8:15 am - 8:45 am Breakfast and Registration
- 8:45 am - 11:45 am Seminar with Q&A
- 11:45 am - 12:15 pm One-on-one follow up with presenters (optional)
Note: The hours from this non-accredited seminar may be applied towards the 9 Substantive Hours of annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Please RSVP by February 17, 2017 by filling in the form below
The cost of this seminar is $480 plus HST per registrant. An invoice will be sent via email upon completion of registration.
Participants will receive breakfast and the following:
- A detailed presentation led by Canada's leading legal expert on the regulation of lobbying, Guy Giorno
- Exclusive materials that cover all Canadian jurisdictions
- In-depth question and answer session
Fasken Martineau is pleased to offer its clients a 10% discount off the cost of this seminar. Contact email@example.com for further details prior to registering
For more information
+1 416 868 3329