Many employers do not know how to deal with a health and safety inspector when they attend at a workplace after an incident or for any other reason. The Occupational Health & Safety Act (“OHSA”) both authorizes and provides limits on the authority of OHS inspectors.
Whether an OHS Inspector arrives for a routine inspection, complaint, work refusal or an accident investigation, employers need to know their rights and responsibilities.
This seminar was updated to deal with the quickly evolving COVID-19 pandemic and the mandate and role of the Ministry of Labour Training and Skills Development (“MLTSD”) regarding workplace exposure to COVID-19.
The program will address the following topics and more:
- Review of OHS Inspector's legal authority
- Investigation mandate of the MLTSD during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Reporting obligations when there is a workplace accident, illness or fatality (including work related exposure to COVID-19)
- Charter rights to be free from unreasonable search seizure
- Charter right to retain and instruct legal counsel
- OHS Inspector's power to investigate work refusals and issue orders
- Employer's right to appeal OHS Inspector Orders and Requirements
- OHS Inspectors role in prosecutions under the OHSA
This program will be conducted as a live webinar
9:30 am - 12:30 pm (ET) Program
Managers, supervisors, OHS professionals, in-house legal counsel and business owners
This half day course costs $195 + HST per registrant
A secured online payment link will follow after registration
- Only credits will be offered as refunds will no longer be issued as of April 2021
- No credits will be issued for no shows
- No credits will be issued for cancellations less than 24 hours before a course
- Participants can request a one-time deferral and the credit must be used before the end of the calendar year. Requests for a deferral must be made 24 hours prior to the start of the course. If the course is only offered once that year, the credit can be applied to another OHS course within that same calendar year
- In the event that Fasken cancels a course, the participant can choose either a credit or a refund for the course amount