Fasken’s Guide to Canadian Public M&A 2023
Every public M&A transaction is unique and complex.
Buyers and sellers must be prepared to navigate an intricate landscape of corporate, securities, tax, competition (anti-trust), foreign investment and labour and employment considerations, among others.
Acquiring a Canadian Public Company provides a helpful overview of many of the legal and strategic considerations arising in Canadian public M&A for the benefit of both buyers and sellers. This includes:
- The principal methods of acquiring a Canadian public company.
- General rules, processes and timing applicable to these methods.
- A target’s potential responses to an acquirer’s interest.
- Protections afforded to minority shareholders under Canadian corporate and securities law.
- The competition (anti-trust) regime applicable to acquisitions of Canadian targets.
- Special considerations for foreign acquirers.
Fasken has extensive experience advising on all aspects of Canadian public M&A, and we would be pleased to discuss any aspect of our guide or your transaction with you. Our cross-country reach, deep roster of M&A experts, and consistent market-leading deal flow distinguishes us from other Canadian business law firms and confers to our clients a clear advantage.