Clayton Jones has a busy labour, employment and human rights practice in Vancouver advising employers on all aspects of the employment relationship. Clayton provides practical advice intended to prevent and resolve workplace disputes in both union and non-union contexts. Clients also frequently rely on Clayton to assist with significant workplace changes including workforce reductions, closures, bankruptcies/insolvencies, and corporate transactions.
Clayton appears as counsel before the BC Labour Relations Board, BC Human Rights Tribunal, BC Employment Standards Branch, BC Supreme Court, BC Court of Appeal and Canada Industrial Relations Board. He also regularly acts as counsel in labour arbitrations and mediations.
Labour Law Expertise
Unionized employers count on Clayton to provide legal and strategic advice to meet their business goals and objectives while avoiding disputes. Where the need arises, Clayton also represents employers in grievance arbitration proceedings and labour relations board matters including:
- union organizing drives and certification applications
- unfair labour practice complaints
- collective bargaining
- discipline and discharge cases
- policy/interpretation grievances
Practical employment law advice
When non-unionized employers need practical and cost-effective solutions they turn to Clayton for his in-depth knowledge in a variety of matters including:
- terminations of employment including dismissals for cause and constructive dismissal
- employment contracts as well as the preparation of other employment-related materials
- employment standards including relating to the payment of wages, hours of work and overtime, annual vacation and director liability
Human rights knowledge
Helping clients navigate through workplace human rights matters is an important part of Clayton’s practice. Besides acting as counsel on complaints under the Human Rights Code, he frequently assists with issues involving accommodation, employee medical information, and bullying and harassment.