The sustained attention that high profile cases attract often highlight ethical issues that the lawyers involved must confront. Recent, high profile cases contain dramatic, real-life examples of difficult ethical issues. In such cases, making the wrong decision can have immense consequences for lawyers, clients and the public.
In this session, we will discuss ethical issues using case studies drawn from cases and examine:
- The involvement of retired judges in public controversies
- Crown counsel’s duties in public prosecutions
- Lawyers’ duties to refrain from any activity that assists in or encourages any dishonesty, crime or fraud
- Lawyers’ duties to guide organizations to act in ways that are legal, ethical and reputable
- Discuss practical strategies for identifying and resolving ethical issues in everyday practice