Paul is a Co-Leader of Fasken’s Real Estate group and a Partner in the Calgary office. He advises on a wide variety of complex matters for real estate clients, including purchase and sale transactions of office, industrial and retail properties, mortgage financing, leasing, and development and planning matters.
Paul acts for a broad range of clients, including pension funds, life insurance companies, major landlords, and institutional lenders. Paul also has significant experience in negotiating leases and subleases for office, industrial and commercial space, for local, national and international landlords and tenants.
Paul also provides real estate advice on complex commercial transactions in the conventional energy and renewable energy sectors, including purchases, ground leases and development of power plants, wind, solar and hydroelectric energy infrastructure, project financings and share and asset purchase transactions.
- Representing a vendor consortium in the sale of Gulf Canada Square, a 1.12-million square-foot premier class "A" office and retail complex in downtown Calgary for a purchase price of C$382-million and a related assumption of the existing mortgage bond facility
- Advising on the sale and purchase of numerous commercial and industrial properties and a large apartment complex for a real estate adviser to an insurance company
- Advising on the sale by a vendor consortium of the Altius Centre office building in downtown Calgary for a purchase price of C$179.8 million
- Acting for a major institutional landlord on a site acquisition, parcel consolidation and construction financing for the development of a trophy Calgary office complex
- Acting for several institutional landlords on multiple office and retail lease negotiations in Alberta and British Columbia
- Acting for a major institutional landlord on the term financing of its Alberta office towers projects
- Acting for a Schedule 1 Canadian Charter Bank financing loans including loans for new medical buildings, care facilities and shopping centres
- Acting for several Schedule 1 Canadian Banks in numerous loan transactions for retail mixed use hotel and industrial properties
- Acting for vendors, purchasers and banks in mortgage loan assumptions
Conventional Energy and Renewable Energy
- Advising a renewable energy company on the purchase of multiple constructed and in-development solar and wind projects involving multiple leases, negotiating new leases and lease amendments and advising on the real estate aspects of related project financings
- Providing real estate advice to several major renewable energy companies relating to the acquisition of all land rights for the development of solar, wind and hydro-electric projects and providing ongoing advice on related transmission and access rights
- Negotiating the lease and development of a rail facility for the transloading of fracking sand in Saskatchewan
- Advising on complex ground leases, subdivision and development requirements and the acquisition of utility corridors for energy infrastructure projects, including oil by rail and other transloading facilities, and crude oil tank farms
- Negotiating long-term ground leases and purchases for a utility provider for the development of several power plants and related joint venture arrangements
- Advising renewable energy companies on land tenure requirements for competitive RFP bids